Since Antiquity, scholars have appreciated the importance of communication: as social beings, we cannot exist without communication. The course extends beyond the boundaries of communication science itself, exploring dimensions of history, sociology and psychology. Join our class, together with people all over the world.
Since Antiquity, scholars have appreciated the importance of communication: as social beings, we cannot exist without communication. We need to interact with people around us, to make sense of the world and to position ourselves in a wider social and cultural reality. In this course, we look at how and why communication evolved as a science and reflect on today’s dominant paradigms. The course also extends beyond the boundaries of communication science itself, exploring dimensions of history, sociology and psychology. Join our class, together with people all over the world.Introduction to Communication Science explores some of the basic theories, models and concepts from the fields of mass, interpersonal and intrapersonal communication. The course begins with a consideration of several basic models, subsequently progressing to the history of communication theory, linear effect-oriented theories, the reception approach and, finally, exploring theories on the production and reinforcement of culture through communication.
During the course each week about eight short video lectures will be posted. In most video lectures a multiple choice question is embedded to test your understanding of the subject. In the first five weeks you will also be asked to make a weekly homework assignment that covers the topics of that week.
A three-minute video
only gives us time to outline a topic in broad strokes. That is why we created the
‘Little box of nuance’ feature, in which we will add additional information, indicate
when scientists have opposing opinions on an issue, and suggestions for further
reading. If you would like to propose an additional topic, article, or anecdote
that you think should be included here, please feel free to share it on the forum.
The course includes a forum, designed to enable students to actively participate. Visit the forum and make your contribution by opening a discussion on a particular topic or joining one of the existing discussions. We will also contribute by posting answers to recurring questions. You can also use this forum to give any constructive feedback you might have on course. That way, you can help us to learn and improve!
In week 7 a final exam will be posted. You have one week to complete the exam, which will account for 80% percent of your grade. The five homework assignments combined account for the other 20% of your grade.
Register to leave a review